TIMS SQL introduced at NCPTA Conference
The new Edulog SQL (dubbed TIMSsql) program was introduced by TIMS staff members during 2012's NCPTA conference held at Kitty Hawk this Summer.
The full presentation can be downloaded here (powerpoint contains video. size: 338 MB)
TIMS.nt Data Preparation Prior to Conversion
Converting your data to the new SQL version is not difficult, but it does require that your data be in top shape before converting. Here is an overview of the procedures that should be completed before your data is submitted for conversion.
Once you feel your data is ready for conversion, your project leader will run it thru a series of diagnostics and let you know if anything further needs to be done before processing.
Physical Server - Recommended Specs
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (x64)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard (x64) (see MS SQL information below)
- Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron Quad-core processor running at 2.4 GHz or faster
- 16 GB RAM minimum
- 500GB available storage in a RAID (1, 5, 6, 10) array.
- Printer(s) with driver(s) compatible with your operating system
- TIMS STaff will need remote access to the server
- Direct RDP (Remote Desktop) or
- VPN + RDP
- TIMS Staff will need a user account with Administrative privileges on the server (Domain or local account)
- Server must be addressable from the internet if the software is intended to be accessed outside the network
- Port 80 TCP for http access
- Port 80 TCP for http access
- Server will need internet access and FTP access during installation and upgrades. This is needed so that TIMS Support can download the necessary setup files for the install or upgrade
Virtualized TIMS SQL Server - Additional Requirements
When TIMSsql is operating in a virtualized environment, in addition to the information above, please note these requirements.
- The virtual machine should be configured with a single virtual CPU with four or more cores, rather than four separate CPUs each with a single core. (Alternatively referred to as a single “socket” with 4 CPU cores.)
2008 MS SQL Server "Express" or " Standard"?
We recognize that there are newer versions of MS SQL server (ie 2012), but currently, Edulog's software is only certified to work with version 2008R2.
Many County sites should be able to run the MS SQL Server R2 Express (version 2008R2) with tools without problems, but for the larger sites, those running with more than 3 or 4 users, they will be competing for processing and recognize slowness. Edulog strongly recommends the Standard version outside of very small County operations.
Microsoft SQL (Express for smaller counties) must be installed on the same server as the “TIMsql” software. It should be installed under an Administrator account.
Please ensure that the Management Studio is included with either version installed.
- Microsoft SQL Server Licensing Guide & Information
- Download MS SQL Server 2008R2 Standard (60 Day eval only)
- Download MS SQL Server 2008R2 (64 bit) Express with Tools